Congratulations on your engagement! Couples who want to get married in Ontario need a valid marriage license. Learn how to get a marriage license in the Town of Blind River.

Apply for a marriage license

Please complete the Marriage license Application, then print the application and have both you and your partner sign and date it. Original signatures are required.

After completing the application, you must book an appointment with us by emailing or calling 705-356-2251.

Required identification, documents and fee

When you apply for a marriage license, we will ask both you and your partner or just one of you to bring in:

  • A completed Marriage license Application with your intended place and date of marriage
  • A license fee, payable by cash, by debit or by e-transfer (no password setup necessary) to View marriage license fees on our Municipal User Fees By-law
  • Two original pieces of government-issued ID for each person getting married. One piece of ID must have your photo
  • An original Certificate of Divorce if either person has been divorced. If it is a foreign divorce a letter of opinion from a Lawyer is required and the Statement of Sole Responsibility form must be completed.

Valid types of ID

Your first piece of ID must be a:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport

Your second piece of ID must have a photo, which can include:

  • Canadian Citizenship card
  • Confirmation of permanent residency
  • Driver's license
  • Record of immigrant landing

Age requirements

You need to be at least 16 years old to get married in Ontario. If you are under 18, you will need written consent from your parents or guardians. Contact us at 705 356-2251 ext. 210 for more information or for consent forms.

Marriage after divorce

An applicant, whose former marriage was dissolved or annulled in a jurisdiction other than Canada, must obtain authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before a marriage license may be issued.

To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing the applicants, must submit:

  1. A completed and signed Marriage License Application.
  2. A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness).
  3. The original Certificate of Divorce or the Decree or Annulment court-certified copy in English or French. If the document is in a language other than English, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator.
  4. A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.

These documents need to be validated by the Office of the Registrar General before you get a marriage license.

Mail these four documents to The Office of the Registrar General, P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8.

Visit Service Canada to learn more about getting marriage licenses after out-of-country divorces.

Obtaining a licence when one applicant is absent

One applicant to the marriage may submit the completed application form in order to obtain a marriage license, provided that the required original identification/documentation for the absent applicant is presented. The application must be original and signed by both parties.

license expiry

Most marriage licenses are valid in Ontario for three months. 

Marriage license checklist

To confirm that your marriage license application is complete, please ensure that you:

  • Complete all information on the Marriage license Application for both applicants
  • Include the original certificate of divorce if either applicant is divorced
  • Include your intended place and date of marriage
  • Have two pieces of ID for each applicant
  • Have included the applicable fee payable to the Town of Blind River

Registered marriage officiants

View a list of registered marriage officiants in Ontario to find an officiant to perform your marriage ceremony.

Marriage certificates

Learn how to apply for a marriage certificate through Service Ontario.

Contact Us

Subscribe to this page