Looking to start your next building or renovation project in the Town of Blind River? Before you get started, review and complete the necessary building permits and applications to notify us about the details of your construction project and ensure standards, code compliance and safety.

Building checklists

Depending on the type of project, you may need one or more building permits before starting work. View our building checklists to discover what types of applications, permits and plans you'll need for each type of project, including:

  • Accessory buildings and sheds
  • Additions
  • Alteration remodels
  • Blasting
  • Chimneys and fireplaces
  • Decks and porches
  • Demolitions
  • Excavations
  • Garages and breezeways
  • Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC)
  • Private or public swimming pools
  • Roofing, siding and windows
  • Single family dwellings

Call before you dig

Before digging in any location in the Town of Blind River, make sure you contact Ontario One Call to learn where critical service infrastructure is buried underground.

Building inspections

Depending on the type of building permit you are applying for, you may need to schedule one or more inspections with the Town of Blind River. These inspections ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code, your permit and approved plans. Learn how to book a building inspection with us, when required, for your project.

Building and planning fees

View the current fees associated with our building and planning services.

Building department letter fees

Please contact us by email at info@blindriver.ca or by phone at 705-356-2251, ext. 206 if you need any of these letters for your project:

  • Property Compliance Letter - $80
  • Property Compliance Letter expedited (one to two days) - $140
  • Site Plan Compliance Letter - $80
  • Site Plan Compliance Letter expedited (one to two days) - $140
  • Zoning Compliance Letter - $80
  • Zoning Compliance Letter expedited (one to two days) - $140

Oversize Load and Overweight Load Permits

If you are moving a large or heavy load in the Town of Blind River that exceeds the size and weight limits as specified in the Highway Traffic Act, you must apply for an Oversize Load or Overweight Load Permit.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

View the following frequently asked questions to learn more about building permits and processes.

 What is a building permit?
A building permit gives you legal authorization to start construction of a building project in accordance with approved drawings and specifications. Building permits are issued by our Building department.
 Who is responsible for getting a building permit?
The property owner must get a building permit for their own property. However, an architect or contractor may request a building permit on the property owner's behalf with written authorization.
 When is a building permit required?
When considering any kind of project on your property, we recommend contacting us by email at info@blindriver.ca or by phone at 705-356-2251, ext. 206 to discuss your project first. We will let you know of any types of permits or approvals that you will need.

A building permit is required for, but not limited to, the following projects:

  • Building systems, such as fire alarm/suppression systems and HVAC systems, etc.
  • Change of use, such as establishing a home occupation or home-based business, lodging house, bed and breakfast, or changing any part of a home, or vice-versa
  • Demolitions
  • Fences
  • Finishing a basement, including new bedrooms, new recreation rooms, new laundry rooms, etc.
  • Installation, alteration and repairs of plumbing, drains and sewer systems
  • Installing a new furnace
  • Moving a building
  • New additions to existing buildings
  • New buildings larger than 15 m² (or 161 square feet), including sheds and garages
  • Pre-fabricated buildings and temporary buildings
  • Renovations, repairs and alterations of existing buildings
  • Various structures, such as decks, retaining walls, towers, pools, etc.
 When is a building permit not required?
You do not need a building permit to perform the following work. However, you must still comply with the requirements of our Zoning By-Law and Ontario's Building Code:
  • Accessory buildings less than 15 m² (or 161 square feet) in size
  • Flooring replacement
  • Furnace replacement or upgrade
  • Kitchen cupboard replacement, provided you are not changing the plumbing system
  • Replacement of plumbing fixtures in their original location (toilets, sinks, bathtubs, showers and hot water tanks)
  • Replacement of windows or doors, provided the rough opening size does not change and you do not make structural changes
 What happens if I don't get a building permit?
Under Ontario's Building Code, it is an offence to begin construction without first getting a building permit from the Town when it is required. If the work does not comply with the code's requirements:
  • You may need to do costly repairs to gain compliance
  • You may need to remove the work already done
  • The applicable permit fee is doubled
  • The Town may initiate legal action to gain compliance. Anyone who is charged and found guilty of building without a permit can be fined up to $50,000 for a first offence and up to $100,000 for later offences. Fines up to $10,000 per day can also be imposed upon conviction if a person does not comply with a Town order.
 What is a complete submission?
Applicants may declare submissions complete, requiring us to process the application within prescribed time periods. An application may be declared as complete by the applicant where:

Learn more by viewing our Building By-law. Please note that compliance with Ontario's Building Code requirements is determined by technical examination review and not a condition of whether an application is complete. If you have any questions, please contact us at 705-356-2251, ext. 206.

 Are there other types of approvals required for my project?
Our staff will let you know if additional approvals or permits are required before we issue a building permit for your project. Contact us by email at info@blindriver.ca or by phone at 705-356-2251, ext. 206 to discuss your project with us.

Examples of additional approvals include:

  • A building permit for installation, major alteration and additions to a plumbing system
  • A demolition permit before you take down all or part of a building
  • A minor variance for existing or proposed structures that do not meet the requirements set in our Zoning By-Law
  • An application for consent to subdivide land (lot split or lot addition) without the requirement of a plan of subdivision
  • A permit for electrical work, such as lighting, wiring, switches and outlets. Contact the Electrical Safety Authority to learn more
  • A building permit from the Ministry of Transportation if your property is on or near a provincial highway
 What information do I need to apply for a permit?
We require detailed information from the property owner or an authorized representative before we can process building permit applications. Requirements depend on the nature of the project. Typically, we require:
  • A deed or tax bill to verify property ownership and to provide a legal description of the property
  • A copy of a plot plan or normal property survey, illustrating lot dimensions, location of easements, size and location of existing structures and proposed structures, distance between structures and distance to property lines, drainage patterns, driveway, location of servicing hydro, water, sewer and gas, and/or location of all natural features like bedrock outcrops, surface water, trees and streams
  • Total value of construction, including design costs, materials and labour
  • Two complete sets of construction plans, which may include a foundation plan (for new construction, an addition, installing a basement or repairing a foundation), a cross section showing load-bearing walls and beams (for new construction and interior renovations), an elevation plan (for new construction and alterations to the exterior of a home), a floor plan (for new construction, an addition and renovations to an existing structure) and a basic electrical layout
 What is the approval process for a building permit?
Each building permit application undergoes a zoning review and an Ontario Building Code construction standards review. We will inform you whether additional approvals are required before we can issue a building permit to you for your project.

You may require:

The property owner is responsible for getting all required approvals from all agencies and authorities. We cannot issue a building permit until all requirements are met.

 How long does it take to process a building permit?
It takes approximately five to 10 business days to process and issue a building permit, provided your proposal complies with Ontario's Building Code, our Zoning By-Law and all other applicable laws. If a zoning change or a minor variance is necessary, or if building plans must be altered to comply with the Building Code, it will take longer to distribute your permit.

We do not accept incomplete applications or plans. Assembling and submitting the proper documentation will hasten your application through the approvals process. Contact us by email at info@blindriver.ca or by phone at 705-356-2251, ext. 206 if you have any questions.

 What is a BCIN and when is it required?
A BCIN is a Building Code Identification Number, issued to designers by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. In general, designers, other than registered professional engineers and architects that engage in the following design activities, must meet the qualification/registration requirements under Ontario's Building Code:
  • Preparing a design that forms part of a building permit application
  • Giving information or an opinion concerning whether a building or part of a building complies with the Building Code if the information or opinion will be submitted to a chief building official in connection with a building permit application
  • Preparing a written report for submission to the chief building official based on general review, where a general review is required by the Building Code

Property owners who do their own design work are not required to get a BCIN, but may need the services of an architect and/or engineer if there is a major structural component.

 What happens during construction?
Building permits include a list of mandatory inspections to be called for at various stages of construction. After we receive notice for an inspection, we will conduct an inspection of the work to ensure compliance with Ontario's Building Code, your permit and the approved plans.

You must also:

  • Advise us of any last-minute changes, which must also be approved by the chief building official
  • Contact us at the appropriate stages of construction to schedule the mandatory inspections
  • Keep copies of the approved plans on site
  • Post your permit card in a window where it can be easily seen

We must always be able to see the work. If work is different than that which was approved, you will be told to correct it. If you do not, the Town may take legal action.

 Who is responsible for calling to schedule a required inspection?
The property owner is ultimately responsible for ensuring that mandatory inspections take place. We must inspect your project at several stages during construction. If you do not request inspections at the appropriate times, you must uncover construction. Please review the stages of inspections with your contractor and request proof, showing inspections have taken place.

About our Building and Planning department

The Town's Building and Planning department is part of our Protective Services department. We regulate construction so that health, fire, structural and general safety standards are met within our community. Acquiring a building permit ensures that we have a record of all development in the community to protect the interests of both the individual and community as a whole.

We provide an efficient system of building permit approvals, which minimize hazards to people and property by ensuring that all construction within the Town of Blind River adheres to provincial and municipal regulation. Through inspections, we ensure that projects are designed and constructed in accordance with the terms and conditions of applicable municipal and legislative requirements.

If you have any questions about building permits, or if you'd like to discuss your project with us to find out what approvals and permits you need for your project, or if you have any other general building inquiries, please contact:

Phone: 705-356-2251, ext. 206
Fax: 705-356-7343
Email: info@blindriver.ca

About Ontario's Building Code

Ontario's Building Code is a Government of Ontario regulation that outlines the requirements for construction of new buildings and additions or alterations to existing buildings. The code is constantly evolving to reflect changes in technology, new building practices and the needs of the public. The main purpose of the code is to protect people and allow them to enter, occupy and leave buildings safely. Standards are centred around health, safety, accessibility and energy efficiency. Learn more by visiting the Government of Ontario's website.

Contact Us

Subscribe to this page